The Royal Winton brand has always been know for both quality and design, with roots in Stoke-on-Trent that date back over 100 years. Royal Winton was origionally known as Grimwade Brothers, and was founded by Leonard Lumsden Grimwade. In 1885 Both Leonard and his brother, Sidney Richard, had shown a natural talent for modelling pottery, and from this a business began.
By 1890 showrooms had been purchased in Stoke-on-Trent as well as London. Its a measure of the company's success that by 1906 Grimwades Ltd was operating from 4 factories within Stoke-on-Trent.
Leonard Grimwade experimented with new methods of manufacture and he developed the enamel climax Rotary Kiln, Duplex Lithographic transfers and
other ground breaking techniques.
In 1913 King George V and Queen Mary visited the potteries and the brothers issued a catalogue to commemorate the event. The Queen purchased a Winton Teaset and was delighted to be presented with a gift of a Mecca Foot Warmer.
In 1928 'Marguerite' the first Royal Winton Chintz pattern was launched and was an immediate success. These tightly grouped, highly detailed and
vibrant all over floral patterns were to become a milestone in the company's reputation for versatility and beauty. Following an advertisement in the 'Potteries gazette' in 1929, Royal Winton
became the established trade name for Grimwades Limited and has remained so through to the present day.
Leonard Grimwade died in 1931, but his legacy survived and the company went from strength to strength under the leadership of James Plant.
Over succeeding decades Royal Winton introduced more than 60 Chintz patterns and became the leading producer of this style of decoration, exporting to most commonwealth countries and the USA.
Discontinued in the early 1960's due to the high production costs associated with this style of decoration, Royal Winton Chintz has become highly desirable in the antique market today. Collectors Clubs have been established world-wide and many reference books have been published, with Christie's of London running auctions dedicated to Chintz pottery.
In 1995 the company was purchased by its current owners who reverted back to the original company name of Grimwades Limited trading as Royal
Winton. More recently it has been merged with its sister company Duchess China Ltd.
Since acquisition some of the more popular Chintz patterns have been reintroduced on a range of giftware, tableware and limited Edition pieces. Hand crafted in the 'Potteries', Staffordshire England; Royal Winton Chintz undergoes eighteen separate production processes and is fired four time. Old lithographing techniques have been resurrected to achieve the all over floral effect demanded by Chintz lovers.
In March 1997 the first new piece of Royal Winton Chintz for nearly forty years was introduced and unveiled at the chintz convention in
Pasadena, Californa. A spectacular piece, an 11" octagonal vase in the Florence pattern, it received resounding approval.
The company has witnessed many changes over the past century but one thing has never altered, its dedication to quality, design and beauty which excites many buyers from around the world.